Soccer Opens Home Season with Matchup against UW-Superior

Soccer Opens Home Season with Matchup against UW-Superior

MILWAUKEE – The Alverno soccer team played its first home match of the 2019 season on Sunday afternoon as the Inferno hosted the UW-Superior Yellowjackets on the Alverno Soccer Field. In the matchup the Inferno and Yellowjackets were even at one goal apiece, before UW-Superior scored the final three goals of the match to take the 4-1 victory.

Sophomore Shaye Wolfe stayed hot as she scored her third goal of the season, with her strike coming on a penalty kick at the end of the 15th minute.

In goal freshman Kenzie Bermudez made eight saves on the match while yielding the four UW-Superior goals.

Alverno had 10 shots total on the match with Wolfe amassing seven of those chance with four of those coming on target. Junior Jess Flores had two shots with one on target, while freshman Katie Shipley also played 90 minutes and took one shot on the afternoon.

Wolfe got the action started on the match with a chance 71 seconds into the match. Superior countered a few minutes later and Bermudez made her first save of the contest. In the 10th minute, the Yellowjackets broke through with the first goal of the contest.

Just over five minutes later, Wolfe was fouled in the box and was awarded a penalty kick and connected to even the score at one.

Following Wolfe's goal, the Yellowjackets came back with three shots over the ensuing 11 minutes with Bermudez up to the task and stopping three shots on target to keep the score even.

As play progressed into the 31st minute, Superior was awarded a penalty kick chance, which was denied by Bermudez. The Inferno countered just seconds later and had a chance that was put on target by Flores, but denied by the UW-Superior goalkeeper. The Yellowjackets came right back and struck with their second goal of the match just 46 seconds after the penalty kick save.

The score remained 2-1 through the first half, as the Inferno went into the break trailing by one. UW-Superior scored twice more over the final 16 minutes to extend its lead and to earn the win by a 4-1 score.