The Inferno softball team opens the season with 10 games at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic, this week in Alverno College Athletics.
Monday, March 6
- 11 a.m. EST, Softball vs. Albion College (at Naples, Fla.)
- 1 p.m. EST, Softball vs. Clark University (at Naples, Fla.)
Tuesday, March 7
- 9 a.m. EST, Softball vs. Geneva College (at Fort Myers, Fla.)
- 11 a.m. EST, Softball vs. Elms College (at Fort Myers, Fla.)
Wednesday, March 8
- 9 a.m. EST, Softball vs. New Jersey City University (at Naples, Fla.)
- 11 a.m. EST, Softball vs. Bridgewater State University (at Naples, Fla.)
Friday, March 10
- 9 a.m. EST, Softball vs. University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (at Fort Myers, Fla.)
- 1 p.m. EST, Softball vs. Kenyon College (at Fort Myers, Fla.)
Saturday, March 11
- 8 a.m. EST, Softball vs. University of Pittsburgh at Bradford (at Naples, Fla.)
- 10 a.m. EST, Softball vs. Salem State University (at Naples, Fla.)
Alverno opens the season at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic down in southwest Florida versus 10 different opponents.
The Inferno (17-23 in 2016) opens play against Albion (7-29) and Clark (13-25) Monday. The Britons already have a pair of games under the belt as Albion went 0-2 in a pair of dome games on Feb. 17. The Britons won the lone prior meeting with Alverno, 11-10, back in 2011 in Kissimmee while the Inferno and Cougars are 1-1 all-time, both games down at the Cusic Classic. Clark won 6-5 in 2012, while Alverno won 8-0 in 2014.
Geneva (17-19) and Elms (15-19) are on the docket Tuesday. It will be the Inferno's first meeting with the Golden Tornadoes and second with the Blazers. Alverno defeated Elms, 2-0, in 2015.
Wednesday's opponents are New Jersey City (11-29) and Bridgewater State (25-15). The Inferno topped the Gothic Knights, 9-2, in the only meeting back in 2015 while the Bears hold a 2-0 lead in the all-time series with 7-0 and 4-0 wins over Alverno.
After an off day, UMass-Dartmouth (27-15) and Kenyon (17-22-1) await the Inferno Friday. Alverno defeated the Corsairs, 3-1, in the only other meeting back in 2008 but the Ladies are 2-0 all-time versus the Inferno including a 7-4 win back in 2015.
Pitt-Bradford (11-27) and Salem State (13-23) will close out play at the classic for Alverno Saturday morning, both first-time opponents for the Inferno.
Alverno, which returns to the classic after a year absence, tied the program's best start to the season in 2015 when the team began the season 7-3 which included a 5-3 record at the Cusic Classic.
Live stats will be available for all games with links available on athletics.alverno.edu.