All five Alverno College fall teams are in action this week, including home openers for the golf and soccer teams.
Tuesday, Sept. 6
- 7 p.m., Volleyball at Beloit College
Friday, Sept. 9
- 1:30 p.m., Golf hosts Inferno Classic (at Greenfield Park G.C.)
- 6 p.m., Volleyball vs. University of Dubuque (at Platteville, Wis.)
- 8 p.m., Volleyball vs. Buena Vista University (at Platteville, Wis.)
Saturday, Sept. 10
- 9 a.m., Tennis at Concordia University Wisconsin
- 12 p.m., Cross Country at Ken Weidt Classic (at Concordia Wisconsin)
- 12 p.m., Volleyball vs. Carleton College (at Platteville, Wis.)
- 12:15 p.m., Golf at Marian Invitational (round 1)
- 2 p.m., Soccer vs. Knox College (Inferno Cup)
- 2 p.m., Tennis vs. Lakeland University (at Concordia Wisconsin)
- 2 p.m., Volleyball vs. Monmouth College (Ill.) (at Platteville, Wis.)
Sunday, Sept. 11
- 9:15 a.m., Golf at Marian Invitational (round 2)
- 1 p.m., Soccer vs. Blackburn College (Inferno Cup)
Inferno Cross Country
Alverno looks to build on its season-opening 14th-place finish last week with an appearance at CUW's Ken Weidt Classic in Mequon Saturday. It will be the Inferno's sixth-straight time competing at the Falcons' meet.
With a pair of road meets already in the books, Alverno hosts its first of two home meets this year, Friday at Greenfield Park Golf Course. In addition to fellow Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference foes Concordia Wisconsin, Lakeland and Wisconsin Lutheran College, nonconference opponent Carthage College will join the five-team field.
The Inferno will then head up to the two-day Marian Invitational Saturday at Sunday at Whispering Springs, with a 12:15 p.m. start Saturday and a 9:15 a.m. start on Sunday.
Alverno is off to the team's best start since 2013 and has tied last season's win total with a 2-0 record to being 2016. Additionally, the 10 goals in the two victories are two more than last year's season scoring total.
Saturday's home opener is part of the four-game Inferno Cup tournament Alverno is hosting. Lakeland (1-1) and Blackburn (0-2-1) square off Saturday at 12 p.m., followed by the Inferno (2-0) hosting Knox (3-0).
Knox and Lakeland will play Sunday at 11 a.m. while the Inferno and Blackburn will close out the classic-style tournament.
Alverno has 0-2 all-time records versus both the Knox Prairie Fire and Blackburn Beavers.
Live video broadcasts and live stats will be available on athletics.alverno.edu four all four games of the Inferno Cup at Alverno Field.
Alverno (1-4, 0-1 NACC) captured its first victory of the season, 9-0, against Ripon College Saturday.
After a tough 5-4 loss to Edgewood in the team's NACC opener, the Inferno continues league play at Concordia Wisconsin Saturday versus the host Falcons (1-0, 0-0) in the morning, followed by an afternoon match versus Lakeland (0-1, 0-0).
Alverno leads the Muskies, 4-3, all-time, while it's 0-9 versus CUW including last year's season-ending loss in the NACC Tournament semifinals.
The Inferno opened the season 1-3 and continues its nine-match road swing with a single contest at Beloit (3-1) Tuesday, followed by four at the UW-Platteville Tournament this weekend.
Alverno will take on Dubuque (2-2), Buena Vista (2-2), Carleton (4-0) and Monmouth (0-2) in Platteville.
The Inferno has faced only Beloit and Dubuque previously and is 5-6 all-time against the Bucs and 0-2 versus the Duhawks.