All five Alverno College fall teams are in action this opening week of the 2016-17 academic year, including home events for the tennis and volleyball teams.
Tuesday, August 30
- 9 a.m., Tennis at Carthage College (scrimmage)
Thursday, September 1
- 6 p.m., Volleyball vs. Mount Mary University
Friday, September 2
- 3:30 p.m., Soccer at Mount Mary University
- 5 p.m., Tennis vs. Judson University (at Lake Park)
- 7 p.m., Volleyball vs. North Central College (at Ripon College)
Saturday, September 3
- 9 a.m., Tennis vs. Lake Forest College (at Nicolet H.S.)
- 10 a.m., Volleyball at Ripon College
- 10:30 a.m., Golf at Mount Mary University (at Currie Park Golf Course)
- 11 a.m., Cross Country at St. Norbert College
- 11 a.m., Soccer vs. Crown College (at Mount Mary University)
- 12:30 p.m., Volleyball vs. University of Wisconsin-River Falls (at Ripon College)
- 1 p.m., Tennis vs. Ripon College (at Nicolet H.S.)
Sunday, September 4
- Time TBA, Golf at Concordia University Wisconsin (at Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course)
- 10 a.m., Tennis at Edgewood College
- 1 p.m., Tennis vs. Loras College (at Edgewood College)
Inferno Cross Country
The Alverno cross country team opens 2016 at St. Norbert's Tom Barry Invitational Saturday at Colburn Park in Green Bay. It will be the Inferno's first time in Title Town since the 2010 season when the team finished 10th in the Green Knight's invite. The women's 5K race begins at 11 a.m.
The Alverno golf team begins the season with a pair of road meets, but both are in the Milwaukee area. The Inferno tees off 2016 at a triangular hosted by Mount Mary Saturday at Currie Park in Wauwatosa, followed by a quadrangular hosted by Concordia Wisconsin at Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course up in Mequon.
The Alverno soccer team starts the 2016 slate at the Mount Mary Invitational this Friday and Saturday. The Inferno (2-16 last season) takes on the host Blue Angels (3-17) to open play and closes the two-day tournament against Minnesota's Crown (4-13-1).
Last season Alverno split the season series with Mount Mary, a 4-0 win at Alverno Field and a season-ending 1-0 loss at Mount, and dropped the season-opener to the Storm, 5-0.
The Inferno leads the Blue Angels 24-6-1 in the all-time series, while Crown has won the only prior meeting against Alverno.
Host Mount Mary will provide live stats for the tournament, with links available on athletics.alverno.edu.
The Alverno tennis squad opens the season with six events this week, including a preseason scrimmage at Carthage Tuesday. Three straight home contests follow Friday -- versus Judson -- and Saturday --against Lake Forest and Ripon -- before a pair of road contests in Madison Sunday against host Edgewood and Loras.
Last season the Inferno compiled the program's first winning season with an 11-10 overall record and finished 6-4 in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play.
Judson completed 2015-16 at 11-13, Lake Forest was 16-9 and Ripon was 4-14. Fellow NACC member Edgewood was 15-11 overall (9-1 NACC) while Loras was 7-13.
Alverno's record in the all-time series are as follows: 0-0 versus Judson; 0-1 versus Lake Forest; 2-1 versus Ripon; 0-7 versus Edgewood; and 0-1 versus Loras.
The Alverno volleyball team starts the season on its home court in Reiman Gymnasium Thursday before heading for a trio of matches at Ripon Friday and Saturday. The Inferno has won its last two season openers and two of its last three home openers.
Last season Alverno finished with a 7-21 record, while season-opening opponent Mount Mary was 3-19, North Central was 22-13, Ripon was 12-13 and UW-River Falls was 14-21.
Alverno's record in the all-time series are as follows: 22-6 versus Mount Mary; 0-2 versus North Central; 0-4 versus Ripon; 0-0 versus UW-River Falls.
As for all home Inferno volleyball matches, a live video broadcast and live stats will be available on athletics.alverno.edu.